Wednesday, March 26, 2008

 

Irish man traces roots to Coonoor cemetery


Labels: ,


Comments:
Dorai sent me this article from an Indian newspaper. I am posting it on his behalf. Click on the text to make it larger.

The Club secretary, Allan Oakley (mentioned in the clipping) lived with his mother in "Stone Hurst" below my house in Coonoor. He worked on one of the tea Estates under Mr. Collins.

Peter
 
Wow, this is something worth reading eh, really amazing of how this guy travelled so much and traced the roots.
Thanks Dorai & Peter.

Yvonne.
 
I like your blog!
 
I am looking for a lost relative a John Conway who was left as an orphan child in St Georges home Keti is there any old records of the 30(thirty's) which I can get information from. The boy John Conway was left in the orphanage of St Georges home Keti, by his mom Evelyn Phyllis Conway(nee Ryan} when he was most probably in his infancy, he would be seventy to eighty years now, the search many be futile,, as his name may have been changed due to adoption but if there is some record, I would be very happy and content. John Conway and me share the same mother so he is my brother, by the way i am an ex Lawrencian of Lovedale.
Iam also looking for daisy ryan (my moms sister) records who died in Coonoor can any one give me the cemetary address or the internet links.
I know my search may never give me any leads but Iam not giving up hope to find my roots, so any kind of help will be of a great help, i got the courage after i read about the Irish mans journey, my mom too was Irish.
FROM AN EX LAWRENCIAN NANETTE DORAN
 
response to Nannette - Daisy Ryan, died 18 December 1934, age 22 years of valvarum heart disease - she is buried at the 'new' cemetery at Tiger Hill in Coonoor. If John Conway was with the Basel Mission at Ketty the records are now at the University of California - check online. Also Daphne Sampson at the Ooty library has old records. Good Luck
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?