Saturday, March 28, 2009

 

IN MEMORY OF A DEAR DEPARTED CLASSMATE


L to R Janki Devi Suganchand, Usha Suri, Neera Dhodi.
Janki & Usha were my classmates '67 batch. Neera was from '69 batch. Usha Suri passed away in a tragic kitchen fire accident, shortly after she was married to an Indian Army officer in Pune. I last saw Usha sometime in the 70's, when I came on leave from the Navy to Coonoor. I visited her at Avinashilingam Home Science College for Women, Coimby. She was so excited that she ran down down from her 2nd. floor dorm to the lobby, with one slipper on and the other missing. She looked thrilled to see me. In my nervous,sweaty hands, I clutched a humble offering- a colourful tin of Parry's toffees purchased from a small cigarette shop in Coonoor bus stand. Little did I know that I would never see her again!
Chrissy, thanks for digging up this photo from your archives and e-mailing it to me.

Peter

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?